Malinda’s Alleged Fraud

Late February: A Citibank internal audit reveals several transfers worth as much as Rp 500 million (US$57,500) from several of the bank’s clients to the personal account of the bank’s senior relationship manager, Inong Malinda, also known as Malinda Dee. Bank clients N. Susetya Sutedja and Rolie Bin Pateni confirm that the withdrawals from their funds were unauthorized.

March 14: Citibank reports the case to the police.

March 23: The National Police special financial crime division detains Malinda at her apartment at Capital Residence in South Jakarta.

March 25: The police hold a press conference announcing Malinda’s detention for allegations of embezzling at least Rp 17 billion from bank customers and money laundering. The police confiscate Malinda’s Hummer-3 SUV and Mercedes E350 sedan.

March 30: The police track Malinda’s assets to the United Kingdom and Australia in cooperation with the PPATK, a money laundering watchdog.

March 31: The police confiscate Malinda’s two Ferraris.

April 1: Malinda is now suspected of embezzling as much as Rp 20 billion from bank customers. The police deny that several police generals were among Malinda’s clients. Chief detective Comr. Gen. Ito Sumardi says the uncovering of Malinda’s alleged fraud is based on reports from three of her clients. Central bank deputy governor Muliaman Hadad says Bank Indonesia (BI) will review supervisory regulations related to private banking.

April 2: The police investigate investment company PT Sarwahita Group Management for allegedly receiving fraudulently-obtained money from Malinda, who is also the firm’s co-founder and director. The police say Malinda handles around 400 clients at the bank.

April 4: Malinda appears in public for the first time since her detention when the police take her to a Citibank office in South Jakarta for case reconstruction. They confiscate Malinda’s balance worth Rp 11 billion and clarify the amount of the allegedly embezzled funds to be Rp 16 billion. Malinda’s alleged modus operandi is rolling over funds into other funds by forging withdrawal authorization forms of her clients.

April 6: The police identify the National Resilience Institute’s (Lemhanas) deputy governor, Vice Air Force Marshall Rio Mendung Thalib, as president commissioner of Sarwahita, a company established by Malinda and her friends, including her boss at Citibank, Reniwati Hamid. The House of Representatives’ Commission XI overseeing financial affairs holds a hearing with BI, the National Police and Citibank. During the hearing, Citibank vice president for customer care Hotman Simbolon says Malinda handles 236 accounts with a minimum balance of Rp 500 million (US$ 50,000).

April 7: The police, suspicious of money laundering, begin investigating the sources Malinda’s clients’ funds. Malinda’s lawyer, Halapancas Simanjuntak, says Sutedja and Rolie are not the clients who reported the case to the police. Sarwahita president director Andrea Peresthu denies allegation that the company received money from Malinda, who resigned from the company in February.

April 8: House Commission XI issues 12 recommendations for the central bank and the law enforcement agencies to undertake following the opening of the Citibank case. Among them are revisions to a set of BI regulations on private banking, instructions to BI to sanction Citibank for its weak internal supervision and instructions to the police to thoroughly investigate the case, including allegations of money laundering.

April 11: The police find evidence that Malinda transferred Rp 2 billion to Sarwahita in 2009. So far, only Malinda and former Citibank teller Dwi have been declared suspects.

April 13: PPATK chairman Yunus Husen says Malinda allegedly used four identity cards to conduct the fraud. The agency studies money-laundering indications in 28 transaction reports from two insurance firms and eight banks, including unidentified state-owned, private and foreign-owned lenders. He also says indications are rife that active and retired public officials had large bank accounts under Malinda’s management at Citibank.

April 14: In fallout from the Malinda case, Rio Mendung is dismissed from his position and made a high officer in the military.

April 18: The PPATK officially investigates Citibank to verify money laundering allegations linked to several active and retired public officials.


Octa’s Unusual Death

March 28: Citibank debt collectors meet with Octa, requesting he pay his Rp 100 million credit card bill. When Octa claims the amount is inflated, the debt collectors request he come to the Citibank branch office at the Jamsostek Tower in South Jakarta.

March 29: Octa arrives at the Citibank office. After a discussion with the debt collectors, Octa loses consciousness at around 1:25 p.m. and is rushed to the hospital but his life cannot be saved. At 6:35 p.m., physician Ade Firmansyah conducts an autopsy on Octa’s body and issues two differing verdicts.

March 30: South Jakarta Police begin investigating the case and name three Citibank debt collectors as suspects for alleged abuse that lead to Octa’s death. The suspects are arrested the same day.

March 31: South Jakarta Police detective unit chief Adj. Sr. Comr. Budi Irawan says the police found traces of evidence, including blood splatters in the bank’s room.

April 1: South Jakarta Police chief Sr. Comr. Gatot Edi Pramono holds a press conference to provide an official chronology of Octa’s death based on witness testimonies. According to Gatot, the debt collectors allegedly interrogated Octa, occasionally beating him on his arms and legs.

April 3: The police name Citibank debt collection leader, identified as D.T., a suspect.

April 4: The police name B.T., the owner of the debt collecting agency hired by Citibank, as a suspect.

April 5: The Police say there are no signs of violence on Octa’s body, contradicting their previous statements.

April 6: The House of Representatives’s Commission XI on financial affairs meets officials from Citibank, BI and the National Police, condemning Citibank for the death of Octa and BI for its failure to monitor debt collection practices.

April 12: Octa’s family’s lawyer, O.C. Kaligis, demands that the police investigate the truth behind the two completely different autopsy results.

April 14: Kaligis and Octa’s family officially file a lawsuit against Citibank for abuse and murder, demanding Rp 3 trillion in damages.


Taken from :

Related posts: